September 10, 2012

Patriot Day


For those of you who don’t know what Patriot Day is you should really be ashamed and you’ll have to Google it because I’m not telling you. And, no, it has nothing to do with Mel Gibson.

I don’t have a problem at all with this day. I have no problem remembering that dreadful day in American history (other than sadness). I also don’t have an issue with the memorial that’s being built in the WTC’s place. I completely get that people should be remembered and I love the idea that EVERYONE’S names are surrounding the fountain…very cool. BUT is it worth putting New York and the US in more debt? I mean, this fountain and the new building with the museum cost $700 million to build and will cost $60 million a year to function. Has anyone really thought this through? There is a modest memorial at Arlington National Cemetery that is in the shape of the Pentagon with people’s names on it, the date, and such. I think that will suffice. Why couldn’t New York just do something like that? Or maybe just a small museum if they want to showcase artifacts or just the fountain? Seven hundred million dollars seems a little steep; ok, a lot steep. I could definitely use $700 million if they are looking to just do something with it. I would split it up between all the family members that lost loved ones or give it to the charity of their choice. Build nothing there. It’s been bombed twice. I think that’s enough for one area. 

No comments: